Technology advances have diminished the need for proximity to eDiscovery projects. Cost pressures have forced many law firms and corporations to send these projects outside the US. However, there are plenty of cost effective alternatives to keeping your project in the US.
Here are three reasons why to consider Minnesota as your onshore alternative for a cost effective and high quality eDiscovery project:
- Large Pool of Skilled Attorneys
Minneapolis and St. Paul, the Twin Cities, boast a substantial number of well-trained lawyers. Some notable evidence of this deep attorney pool in this area include:
- Four law schools accredited by the American Bar Association are located in the Twin Cities metro area which generate a constant stream of new lawyers.
- About 1,000 people take the bar each year and there is an average passage rate of 80%.
- Minnesota ranks 7th highest in the country in number of lawyers per capita.
- There are approximately 24,000 licensed attorneys currently in Minnesota.
- Minnesota is ranked 12th on the number of lawyers per capita with 11.2 lawyers per 10,000 residents. Trailing states like New Jersey (11.7), Florida (11.7), and Pennsylvania (11.9) by a relatively minimal difference.
- Trained by Local Fortune 500 Companies
Minnesota is a training ground for high talent because of the sophisticated employers/clients in the market. Here are a few reasons why this makes Minnesota more than just fly over country:
- Concentration of sophisticated clients. Minnesota is home to 19 of the Fortune 500 companies. Only eight states, all with much larger populations, boast more corporate headquarters than Minnesota.
- Minnesota knows how to handle a crisis. From extreme sub-zero temperatures to infrastructure emergencies, this city has figured out to keep working while staying safe.
- “Minnesota Nice” is more than a colloquialism. This is a phrase that started during the tough pioneer times and continues in modern times. People in the Twin Cities really do care and take care of each other. This translates into a loyal, conscientious, team-oriented workforce.
- Corporations train lawyers. The legal departments in these international corporate headquarters employ a lot of lawyers. The size of these legal departments are equivalent or larger than many of Minnesota’s top 20 largest law firms. Most lawyers work for, with, or on behalf of these corporations in some capacity during their careers even if never technically in the legal departments.
- Avoid the Practical Hassles of Sending Jobs Out of the US
Offshoring legal work to countries like India and China is a controversial cost containment option considered by many firms and corporations. Minneapolis provides a viable option for these companies to have a cost-effective domestic option without sacrificing quality. Benefits to on shoring to places like Minnesota include:
- Quality control performed by attorneys licensed under the rigorous US standards.
- Saves international travel (and billable) costs to send counsel abroad.
- Effective and clear communication without language barriers.
- Practical ability to consistently communicate with eDiscovery team without having to navigate wide deal with dramatic time zone differences.
- Social considerations and ability to say that the company is helping the US economy.
BY: Dan Bikus
ABOUT TOWER AND THE AUTHOR
TOWER LEGAL SOLUTIONS AND TOWER CONSULTING SERVICES HAVE SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE THAT HAS PROVEN TO HELP ATTORNEYS AND THE ORGANIZATIONS THEY WORK FOR TO MAINTAIN THEIR COMPETITIVE EDGE BY NAVIGATING STAFFING, OPERATIONAL, AND ECONOMIC NEEDS. TOWER HAS A NATIONAL PRESENCE WITH OFFICES IN NEW YORK, WASHINGTON D.C., CHARLOTTE, DALLAS, MINNEAPOLIS, AND LOS ANGELES. DAN IS A SALES AND MARKETING PROFESSIONAL WITH 10 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE LEGAL SERVICES FIELD. HE IS CURRENTLY THE MIDWEST BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANGER BASED IN THE COMPANY’S MINNEAPOLIS OFFICE.
Learn more about Tower Legal Solutions: http://www.towerls.com/